Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Work #3 Labor of Love

In Ciulla’s “Labor of our Bodies” she describes another type of work called “labor of love”.  This type of work is defined as “labor done for someone else or done because the agent cares about it, but it is often unnecessary, time-consuming, or devoid of material reward” (Ciulla 29).  While interviewing interior designer, Eileen Ulrich, I asked if she was still as excited about interior design as she was when she first started in the industry.  She answered, “I would say yes but I don’t put the same priorities first as I used to.  I have learned that the job isn’t all about my pleasure.  The job is about how I can impact the lives of others.” Her answer makes it sound like she definitely still enjoys interior design and finds it rewarding, qualifying it as a labor of love.  However, she realizes now that her designs not only bring joy to her but also to the clients she is designing for.  The work of an interior designer is beneficial to both the designer and the client.  Both are rewarded in the end with a successfully designed interior space.  If the designer leaves the project feeling accomplished and proud then I believe that the project was a labor of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment